Parades, Protests and Politics


The 1892 Democratic National Convention

The 1892 Democratic convention was held in a temporary Wigwam. Located at Michigan Avenue between Washington and Madison Streets, the two-story structure was built in 30 days.

The 1892 Democratic convention was held in a
temporary "Wigwam." Located at Michigan Avenue
between Washington and Madison Streets, the
two-story structure was built in 30 days. (CHS)

The 1892 Democratic National Convention was held in the "Wigwam," a temporary structure built to house the convention and financed by private Chicago citizens. The first day of the convention was marred by a rainstorm and the Wigwam sprung a leak. Water rushed in on the Tammany delegation from New York and they opened up their umbrellas inside.

The platform was adopted on the second day and nominations for candidates began close to midnight and rain continued to fall on the hall. Grover Cleveland was nominated and shortly after his supporters left the floor the roof broke again. The convention did not adjourn and eight other names were submitted in the early morning hours. On June 23, at 3 a.m., balloting began. Cleveland needed 607 and he received 617 votes to secure the nomination on the first ballot. The convention broke up at 4:40 a.m. Cleveland and Adlai Ewing Stevenson went on to win the general election over Benjamin Harrison and Whitelaw Reid.


Al Capone
Black Sox
Century of Progress
Chicago Fire
World's Columbian Expo
Parades, Protest and Politics
Parades, Protests and Politics Photo Gallery
Parades, Protests and Politics Artifacts
Parades, Protests and Politics Bibliography
The Pullman Era
The Stockyards
Fort Dearborn

Previous Next
Previous More

Photo Gallery Main Page Bibliography Main Page History Files Home Page Artifacts Main Page First Facts Main Page

Al Capone - Chicago Black Sox - A Century of Progress - Chicago Fire
The World's Columbian Exposition - Parades, Protests and Politics
The Pullman Era - The Stockyards
Fort Dearborn (Coming Soon!)

Back to the Chicago Historical Society Home Page
Copyright © 1999 by the Chicago Historical Society