The World's Columbian Exposition
In association with the Columbian Exposition, the World's Congress Auxiliary conducted 224 congresses, ranging in subject from Agriculture to Woman's Progress, at the then recently constructed Art Institute building. Printed programs show 1,283 sessions at which 5,978 addresses were delivered by 4,822 speakers. The congresses' attendance was estimated at 700,000. The most notable was the World's Parliament of Religions, which brought together religious teachers of all faiths and from all lands for a discussion of their various tenets.
The Palace of Fine Arts of 1893 is now the Museum of Science and Industry. It is the only remaining building from the fair. (photograph by Charles D. Arnold, CHS ICHi )
More than 200 buildings occupied the exposition's grounds; today, only one remains. Like most of the other buildings, the Palace of Fine Arts had exterior walls of staff, a temporary building material made from plaster of paris and hemp fiber. It housed the Field Columbian Museum after the fair's closing until 1920. During the late 1920s, the building was reduced to its steel skeleton and brick interior walls and rebuilt in stone. The structure was opened again to the public as the Museum of Science and Industry in 1931.
Al Capone - Chicago Black Sox - A Century of Progress - Chicago Fire
The World's Columbian Exposition - Parades, Protests and Politics
The Pullman Era - The Stockyards
Fort Dearborn (Coming Soon!)
Back to the Chicago Historical Society Home Page
Copyright © 1999 by the Chicago Historical Society