First Facts

CORRECT!
answer: a. 1850

On September 4, 1850, the city was first lighted with gas--but only in the few blocks in the business district on Lake Street. City Hall, with its 36 gas burners, was the brightest of all.


A gas light stands on the corner of Lake and Clark Streets (1860s). (CHS ICHi-04308)

Photo Gallery Main Page Bibliography Main Page History Files Home Page Artifacts Main Page First Facts Main Page

Al Capone - Chicago Black Sox - A Century of Progress - Chicago Fire
The World's Columbian Exposition - Parades, Protests and Politics
The Pullman Era - The Stockyards
Fort Dearborn (Coming Soon!)

Back to the Chicago Historical Society Home Page
Copyright © 1999 by the Chicago Historical Society